Monday, July 9, 2012

What do Irvin McDowell and the San Francisco Marathon Have in Common?

Greetings Cosmic Americans!

Well - they really have nothing in common, except that I will be doing something in connection with both on the weekend of July 28-29, 2012. Yes, that is the weekend of the San Francisco Marathon, which I will be running as part of the LA/SF challenge. Exciting, yes? I will be heading up to the bay area to give it my best AND if time allows, visit Irvin McDowell's grave at the Presidio.

You see, in 1864 McDowell was "promoted" to command the department of the west after a number of Civil War debacles (including 1st and 2nd Bull Run). I guess the Lincoln administration figured he couldn't cause much trouble in California. And what do you know....? He excelled when he did not have anything to screw up...it turns out he took quite a liking to the west coast and was a popular fellow indeed.

So look forward to marathon updates and McDowell images in the next few weeks. I will keep you posted. I just love it when I can combine my two favorite things: running and Civil War history. Yay me :)

Peace,

Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment