Thursday, July 5, 2012

Shaara on Shaara

Greetings Cosmic Americans!

I was virtually thumbing through C-Span Civil War lectures and I came across novelist Jeff Shaara speaking about his father Michael Shaara's novel, Killer Angels. I do not believe that Shaara the younger is known for brevity (he speaks for over an hour) but he may offer some insights on his father's book that you will find interesting.

For many, Killer Angels and the film based on the novel: Gettysburg function as the definitive history of the battle. In terms of popular history and public memory, I believe that the novel is a must read. Though one should read it with a critical eye.

Watch the video - when you have the time - and let me know what you think. You can check it out HERE.

Peace,

Keith

1 comment:

  1. The Killer Angels is a great book and like Mr. Shaara's books. I need to read his new one on Shiloh. BUt that is good that you tell people to be critical when you read them. Sometimes what makes a book popuar with more people is what makes it inaccurate with history. His are much better than some I have read or heard about. The movies are sometimes hard to watch because they change the history.

    ReplyDelete