Saturday, February 5, 2011

Les Tuniques Bleues

Greetings Cosmic Americans!

My Twitter and Facebook friends are constantly sending me interesting Civil War related goodies from all over the world. A few weeks ago - I received a note about Les Tuniques Bleues, a Belgian comic book illustrating the adventures of two Union cavalrymen.

I have learned quite a lot about this comic over the course of the last few days. Originally illustrated by Louis Salverius in 1970, it is now among the top ten selling comics in French. The central characters are quite the pair indeed. We have Corporal Blutch - a sarcastic and reluctant soldier who is highly critical of authority and Sergeant Chesterfiled - a career soldier who thrives on military glory and always wants to be closest to the action.

The original plot had them stationed at a frontier fort until they moved East to join U.S. Grant's Army. Together they fight in several battles and have run ins with actual historical characters including Abraham Lincoln, Matthew Brady, and Robert E. Lee. The series takes a bit of liscense with continuity when it comes to where soldiers of Grant's army would have been at any given time - but seeing that this is a comic meant not only to entertain, but also to deal with historical issues, I'll give them a break.

In short - the two main characters go all over the place - they contend with racism, guerrilla warfare, and spies. All in all, I have to get on board with Les Tuniques Blues - and as I understand, there is an English version (which I will read further until my French improves a bit).

Peace,

Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment