Friday, February 18, 2011

Cosmic America Is My Classroom

Greetings Cosmic Americans!

In case you didn't know it - I am a BIG fan of the classroom. Hell...I spent a good portion of my adult life either as a student or a teacher in the traditional sense - the history class...complete with desks, maps, and blackboards - and the occasional faulty AV equipment.

But I think - with the onslaught of social media and the whole web 2.0 thing - that the definition of "classroom" needs a little revision. Let's face it, as much as we all love the look and feel of the old school (so to speak), the potential to reach people through other media is astronomical. Astronomical. This blog - still in its humble beginnings - gets thousands of hits each month. That is more than I ever reached at the University of Virginia.

Don't get the wrong idea. I do not believe that one way of teaching should simply replace the other - but the two could act as compliments in multiple ways. Perhaps many of those ways remain to be seen - particularly since social media is in its relative infancy. But I have confidence in the power of the networking. Cosmic America now has an international audience - and it is growing every day. So I am betting that this is the future. The blog is taking off....my Internet show - Cosmic America's Civil War - is getting great reviews. All is well in Hollywood, so I think I will keep at it...and keep going with innovative ways to reach Civil War historians, students, and buffs alike!

Next up for Cosmic America...a smartphone application. It's in the works and should be available soon (for free, naturally) If you can think of anything you would want such an app to do - let me know....

Peace,

Keith

1 comment:

  1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Keith Harris, emilyhill indie. emilyhill indie said: RT @MKeithHarris: Cosmic America Is My Classroom | Cosmic America: http://cosmicamerica.com/?p=636 via @addthis [...]

    ReplyDelete