Monday, January 17, 2011

Excellent Research Facility - The Wisconsin Veterans Museum

Greetings Cosmic Americans!

We here at Cosmic America (this phrase will actually ring true once I have a staff) are very concerned with providing as many connections as we possibly can. Many are linked on the right hand side of this blog - and from time to time, I will highlight one that I found particularly comprehensive and helpful.

For those of you interested in veterans, be sure to visit the Wisconsin Veterans Museum in Madison. Here you will find a mountain of documents on veterans of America's wars - not only the Civil War but the Spanish-American War, World Wars I and II, Korea, Vietnam and the Gulf Conflicts.

I spent over a week pouring over the (seemingly endless) collection from the Museum's Grand Army of the Republic Archives. If the GAR had something to say in Wisconsin, The WVM has it in their files! Of particular interest for those of you involved with Union veterans, the GAR Patriotic Instructor, one Lucius Fairchild, was a Wisconsin veteran. His files are at the WVM and come in handy when trying to figure out the Grand Army message to the world.

They have quite a bit of information listed on their website and are more than helpful when it comes to special requests. I know for sure that there is a collection guide for Civil War veterans - I shot them an email and they sent it right over.

So there you go - the first of many research facilities that I will be talking about in the future.

Peace,

Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment