Thursday, May 24, 2012

Descendents of Union Veterans...Clear Your Calendars for August 9-11!

Greetings Cosmic Americans!

I was poking around on the Internet last night researching records and newspapers relating to the Grand Army of the Republic in California (especially in Los Angeles and San Francisco) and look what I found. The GAR Allied Orders will be holding their National Encampment this summer right in my very own City of Angels!

To attend, you have to belong to one of the associated groups. Since my ancestors fought for the Confederacy, I had to enlist the help of my friends and Facebook....and it looks like I can join a SUVCW camp as an associate member and go.

I'll be in San Francisco the week prior running a marathon and checking out some GAR records at Berkeley for a few days, so I will be back in LA in just enough time to dig deep into some Civil War commemorative activity. I hope to meet and speak with SUVCW members from western posts and find out as much as I can about their GAR comrade ancestors who moved to the West Coast. This, of course, is the subject of my next book.

Hope to see you there!

Keith

 

No comments:

Post a Comment